Wednesday, December 21, 2011

You always were

"You always were"

I was reflecting the other day on a story I was told one time by a Young Life director when I was 18 years old. Young Life is a Christian organization that works within secular schools to create relationships with High School kids to share with them the story of christianity. Very often you will find Young Life leaders holding "club" on Monday nights where they will gather a group of students together and socialize by doing skits, singing songs and simply hanging out. The relationships they establish usually fall over to the point that you will also see these Young Life volunteers at High School activities like basketball games, track events, football games etc....

The story this one YL leader was telling me came back to me because of a message I was listening to from a life coach on CD last week. The story was about a person who had graduated some 6 years earlier from a particular High School and was really struggling at this particular point in their life. You may know what I mean, Have you ever been at a spot where you are just really looking for answers? Where you wish you had someone to talk to and be really honest with?

This individual decided to take a trip down memory lane one Friday night by going to their High School alma mater's home football game. As the former student reached the stands he saw his old Young Life Leader and moved to sit down beside him. At first sight there was that typical reunion you might have with someone from your past..

Tell me what your up to these days?

What are you doing for work now?

All of the normal things you could see being exchanged between two past acquaintances. Eventually they reminisced about times and happenings from when the former student was in school until eventually they came to a point where the YL leader realized there was something deeper going on in this former students life. As the YL leader recognized this he started to offer assistance and understanding and the conversation became a very involved one, almost to the point that they were barely aware of any football game being played around them. The former student poured out his heart and his issues looking for direction and the more he became vulnerable it seemed the better he felt about his situation.

There is such a huge point in that last line about having the freedom to open up to those around us and by having security in knowing someone will listen and care we become stronger as a result.

As the game neared the end there was a peace that the former student had found and a satisfaction that the YL leader had from giving and caring. The former student stood to leave and said "Thank you. I knew if I came to talk to you tonight you would be able to help me." Almost caught by surprise the Young Life leader questioned him and said " I am glad I could help but it has been 6 years since we have seen each other. How did you know I would be here tonight?" The former student turned and said with a smile "You always were"

There is such a lesson here in the way we should live our lives not only giving to those around us but giving with consistency. Our opportunities increase as we increase our ability to meet our opportunities. This Young Life leader set such an example in leading a life centered around giving to others but at such a high level that the faith of those who knew him, knew he would always be there. What message do we send with our lives each day?

Is it giving or taking?

Is it consistent or is it dependent on what mood we are in?

I was listening to a speaker the other day that reminded me of this message when he shared the "bookends of his day"

He said that each day he starts off asking himself a very simple but pointed question.....

"Who today can I add value to and how can I do it?"


He has realized that his mission in life is to look for ways to make differences in others lives and that will create his opportunities to succeed. I know that the more I learn in life the more I realize how awesome it is to think of others and how to help them. The more I exercise this option in life the more I find my own challenges disappear in the light of helping others face their challenges.

I loved his first question of the day but his SECOND question was the real awakening for me......

"Who today did I add value to and how did I do it?"
There is such wisdom in starting your day and ending your day knowing that our mission is to add value to those around us. The "BOOKENDS" of our days.

I feel very fortunate to have had both of these stories come into my life and I wanted to share them with each of you today. Know that today your day will be just as great as you make it for those around you!

Zig Ziglar has said for 40 + years "You can have anything you want if you help enough other people get what they want"

Have a great day and a Great holiday!!

1 comment:

  1. Life isn't always hunky dory or peaches and cream. No matter how good we are at what we do, and how well we plan things out, we do get stuck. That's when we need inspiration - inspiration to move on, to do what we are supposed to do, to start something new, to build what we were trying to build...these stories are truly an inspiration. And I appreciate you sharing... this story has reminded me of those few people in my life that I have impacted my life....

    ReplyDelete