Saturday, May 26, 2018

Feeling Betrayed by a friend or just another Opportunity?



I shared a poem with some friends last week that I thought might help them see their way through a tough situation after feeling taken advantage of. I believe in what the message of the poem shares but I know it’s always harder when you are having to apply it personally. This morning I received a call from a friend who told me some things being said about me by another old friend I have not spoken to but twice in the last few years due to life circumstances. The man now making statements about me I originally met through a group we both worked with as he was getting started in his first business. It was obvious when we met that like all of us he did not know what he did not know which made me really want to help him learn. He was a young father married to a beautiful and talented girl just beginning his business and I could see something special in him. At first our personal association was limited although we were connected through the same organization but at the time he had his new company to build and I had mine. He was one of those people who tries to get along with most everyone which is certainly a talent but like all great strengths there is always an attached weakness. His attached obstacle was that he had a hard time making a stand or taking a position on issues so as not to offend anyone even if he knew something being done was wrong. We all face challenges to overcome and since mine was almost the exact opposite of his we actually could serve each other well if we remained committed to overcoming our weaknesses. As time went on I tried to remain aware of his needs and assess what I could do to assist because I liked what I saw in him and wanted to see he and his family do well. 

After being associated for a couple of years there were more opportunities for him to advance within the organization and I was able to create some space which allowed he and I to closely work together on a regular basis. I became his immediate coach and advisor and he was even a part of the first mastermind I ever moderated so he was able to watch as a major transition took place in my life as well. The "mastermind process" in my life became a search to properly align my drive as a human being to create and accomplish goals with a growing personal awareness to put people first and learn to be more caring.

I have never had much of a challenge in knowing how to build a business or create an income through proper decisions that would create a positive financial outcome. In my time with this friend I would share my direction as he faced issues in his own business and I eventually saw an opening for him to become a coach and help others do the same in their businesses. I was always aware of his struggle with self-confidence, really its self-love that we all are struggling to understand, and his need for a certain image but I knew with time and guidance he could overcome his weakness if he desired and chose to do so. This was a tough understanding for me as well because learning that my truest life lived was in being focused on how to help others achieve self acceptance and love meant I had to remove my EGO from the equation. It had to not be about me, not be about what I would or would not get in money, acceptance or recognition because these thoughts are all rooted in self serving egoist behavior and I do not want my life’s journey to end up there even if it started there. 

There are many personalities in the world but in the end we all struggle with very similar challenges in life and they really boil down to just a few big weaknesses. Image, Greed, Control, Safety are all results of lower level energy as we are taught through Vedic culture. EGO or self importance is at the center of all of these weaknesses and the power that rests behind them can certainly be pushed up the scale with a higher focus into Love, Perception, Knowledge and our own Enlightenment. How rewarding life can truly be if we understand this process and that is our real objective. If I said I had experienced 1000 or more encounters over the years spent with this friend, I do not feel it would be an exaggeration at all, experiences which gave us opportunity to examine and grow.

Opportunities for both of us to push ourselves, through our goals and face our weaknesses in a very real way to examine self. Opportunities that brought tears many times to love and understand each other. I look back now and wish on so many levels I could have known then what I realize now but it’s a journey.

Out of all the memories we shared I still hold one that was at the depth of what I felt he was facing and trying to gain from me as his coach. We were driving in a car one day as I was visiting his hometown and about to attend a meeting I had flown in for. I think it was turning really cold out and we were just talking openly as was our custom and I noticed a construction site out the window trying to wrap up before winter. I have always enjoyed the idea of construction, building and development and have now spent the past few years seeking out those projects more than ever before since freeing up from consulting.

As we passed this project I made a comment about how I would love to have the time to be doing that project right now and he asked me “Have you ever done anything like that before?

I told him no but I was certain it would not be difficult for me to take on and accomplish it. Just as I expressed my confidence in my unproven abilities I could see it hit a chord with him.

He asked again how I felt I had such belief in myself and I truthfully had no answer I just felt strong in my own abilities to try new things and succeed. My career track record has proven my abstract beliefs throughout my life in importing antiques, opening restaurants/ bars, healthcare, consulting, real estate, event planning, franchising and that list goes on! He thought for a moment and simply said “I want that” when I asked him what he meant because I was still not understanding the gravity of what he was talking about he replied “the confidence to know I can try anything and succeed at it”. 

My ability to understand people and what really makes them tick was still in it’s infancy (who knows maybe it still is) so I did not pick up on much besides a compliment at the time but as years have past I now see the encounter much differently. That comment was based in his fear of not believing he could cut loose from his safety net and try anything he wanted. I have now learned this is a major challenge for many people as they build their "perfect image” an image they were sold somewhere down the line by parents, friends, media, success magazines or just general conformists at large. In the beginning its not as dangerous or obvious because we all begin our search with so little, that the playing field looks pretty level.

We are just getting started and as we form our beliefs and take on tasks we begin to We get what we get because we do what we do”. I started down my life’s road looking for profits, success, security and recognition and there is nothing wrong with any of those accomplishments as long as they are NOT your motivation and purpose. We must learn to have higher level motivations in life or eventually we wake up to find out that we have built a life dedicated to only an image we once bought into. This realization comes from so many elderly people in their final chapter of life. (Read The top Five Regrets of the Dying by Bonnie Ware)

The subjects of the book speak of their regrets on how they spent so much of their energy being bound by fears of others opinions (Lowest level energies fear, greed, needing power and control) and not enough of their lives capital on becoming better at the higher level energies. (Love, Perception, Knowledge and Enlightenment).


The other great regret is that they know how they passed on those weaknesses, as they chose not to overcome fear, to the people watching them…their kids, their friends, their spouse, their relationships at large and small. The mask they wore became their truest existence often without much thought as it is a slow methodic journey which allows us to choose our path one decision at a time.

(This reminds me of the live frog analogy that can be slowly cooked to death in a pan of slowly rising heated water - be careful that your decisions are not slowly causing your death)



Each of people interviewed in,The top 5 Regrets of the Dying, still had great memories and often bank accounts to support them through old age but the opportunities they were given to truly fall in love with themselves, live an unrestricted life according to their values and teach others around them to do the same was lost to some degree by not sharing real unrestricted love. “You cannot give away what you don’t have

It has been several years since I have communicated with the friend I speak of today. I moved on with my life to chase my values and his need for survival and maintaining his values caused him to feel he needed to make different life decisions than what I endorsed, which caused us to separate. I have struggled at times to understand some of the things I have heard that he has done over the years but I know that all things can work towards good whenever we wake up enough to make a decision to truly be seeking the right path. If we are not seeking the highest self within us then that's a choice some people end up making with their life in order to stay safe.

Over the past few weeks I have heard this old friend has accused me of doing things to create chaos and being a part of structures that are focused on hurting his business and the value of what he is still trying to hold on to. It is often difficult to remember that very often it is not other people’s actions that are causing us to face our current challenges but rather it is usually just the result of our own actions. Actions that can allow us to face our toughest and what could be our greatest lessons. We get what we get because we do what we do“. Although his statements and assumptions about me are completely false, the fighting spirit immediately rose up within me, when I heard of his accusations. I wanted to call him and question why he would think or say such things which could cause others to think I am causing conflict? After just a few moments of thought I knew that if he really wanted to know the truth he would have just called but in reality he needs to not know because he is still struggling with that question he asked me that day as we drove by that construction site “how do you know you will succeed at what you have not ever done?".

Fear is a horrible master within any of us and should be our life long mission to overcome it. Fear is the lowest level of all energies and yet it feels so large when it overtakes us. After thinking it over I realized the best way to focus the frustration I felt this morning was to write and once again commit myself to BUILDING not destroying, to finding the GOOD in others and not the ugliness rooted in their fears, to teaching how to OVERCOME any situation and not being bound by anyone or anything that tries to prevent me from growing my love. I was told recently I was really good with words but in reality I am really good at challenging myself and that brings learning. My path has taken me away from many people I still love because their need for security does not match my needs for self examination and expression but I am committed to using this life to finding enough strength to truly love myself and others. I am committed to becoming free while teaching those who are watching me to do the same. This past three years have been the best of my life so far, the past 12 months are almost impossible to put into words of gratitude, appreciation and growth. I am so much healthier now on all levels of my life than anytime I can remember but I had to let go of some relationships that were not as healthy as I wish they could have been.


There are silly things going on around me from past relationships right now but my internal peace exists in knowing I am committed to doing the right thing and not being focused on the pettiness that image seeking might bring me. As I close I will share the poem with you I gave to my friend’s last week in their time of need and I will read it again myself.  

Thanks for reading my thoughts and sharing my journey. Enjoy your search today Dugger

People are often unreasonable, irrational, and self-centered.  Forgive them anyway.

If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives.  Be kind anyway.

If you are successful, you will win some unfaithful friends and some genuine enemies.  Succeed anyway.

If you are honest and sincere people may deceive you.  Be honest and sincere anyway.

What you spend years creating, others could destroy overnight.  Create anyway.

If you find serenity and happiness, some may be jealous.  Be happy anyway.

The good you do today, will often be forgotten.  Do good anyway.

Give the best you have, and it will never be enough.  Give your best anyway.

In the final analysis, it is between you and God.  It was never between you and them anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment