Tuesday, August 6, 2013

More, More, More



Good Afternoon,

I just gave a teleconference today on the topic "Is it a Sacrifice, to train to be better in life". 

We hold trainings in our company every Tuesday to rehearse situations, explore ideas, review progress and return to motivations. During these trainings we also have teleconferences like the one today.

The two greatest desires I had of this training were too focus on the simplicity of reaching our goals and the services we should be using our freedoms to create. It often feels that no matter how much we strive to accomplish something, a goal, an award, reward, recognition etc.. the greater the satisfaction we all desire, seems to elude us. Is it possible that our greatest reward is not in the destination but the journey?? Is it also possible that when the goal is solely self serving that it still leaves us with void?

 I have had a lot of opportunity to experience travels abroad with friends and see first hand the differences in our American cultures and focus verses other international cultures. It has made me really think hard about the reasoning behind the American ways of acquisition and accomplishment. In the call I did today I spoke of the one time British Empire and the mindset they once held on World domination. The United Kingdom controlled almost as much as 70% of the entire planet at one time. It amazes me to think that 3 small islands in northwestern Europe would even have the desire to stretch themselves this far, much less actually accomplish it. In America we established our independence from "tyranny" of the british crown and King George in 1776. It was with great distaste that we rebelled against over taxation and domination from a foreign land. This all makes great sense to me but what did not make great sense is why we would have done exactly the same thing to other nations once we found our ability to be strong?

It was almost like the abused child who grows up to be the abuser. It seems as if the abused would not want to ever repeat the wrong they had experienced but instead there is some impression made on the human mind that this is way it is just supposed to be. In the call today I explored just a few of the over reaching abuses that the United States embarked upon over history; The Philipino-American War, Hawaiian Government overthrown and Islands stolen, Native Americans slaughtered for the land they possessed, Slavery's abuse of an entire race and that list goes on, unfortunately.

These recognitions are not against my home nation but rather to understand what impression has been created on all of us who call ourselves Americans. There has been an attitude to conquer and acquire as much as possible and I think it is evident in many of the ways we still live today. I was thinking of a friend of mine whom I have visited in his home in Europe. His father is a political representative with high position in their country's government and holds over 30 years of tenure with their parliament. I have stayed in their home, had dinner with them several times and spent time on their boat in the mediterranean. This man of politics would be the equivalent of the United States Speaker of the house. As I thought of his prominent position I began to compare it to the way we see high political office in the United States. I thought of the simplicity of this mans home which was very nice but very modest. Do not get me wrong the home and gardens were very welcoming but there an obvious absence of the grandeur and extravagance we often associate with the same man of position in the USA.  The entire home was 4 levels with about 2400 square feet or 600 sq. feet per level. The first floor was the entry, the laundry, the mud room and some indoor storage beside the garage. The next floor was the Living room, The kitchen and the dining room all on level 2 (about 600 sq. feet). The third level was an office and the master bedroom and bath. The top floor was two bedrooms and a bathroom. 

The reason I listed all of this out was because it hit me that this very accomplished European man of politics for over 30 years, resided in 1800 sq. feet of livable space. In the United States we see so many people who continue building and expanding their home to use every last dime they possess. Living paycheck to paycheck because enough is never enough. In the last 40 years the average home size in America has grown by over 50% in square footage alone. This does not begin to touch on the upgraded conveniences we now take for granted as compared to those in homes of 1970. There is an attitude that our society has fallen into of "it's never enough". I want to become aware of the origination of this syndrome so I can understand the challenges we have as our responsibility with over working, healthcare, depression, obesity, anxiety and the list goes on! 

Do you think that there could be any connection??

I am absolutely 100% in favor of a free democracy. I am a fervent believer in capitalism and the right of each individual to work hard and succeed. What I am less confident in is the ability of most people to know when they have reached great accomplishment and celebrate it. I am also unsure that as a civilization we know the reasoning for doing all that we do with our lives and talents or how to truly serve others. 

I have spent a lot of time examining the European approach to holidays. I used to think that there must be some form of insanity when everyone just takes an entire month off each summer. How do they pay their bills? Is this not irresponsible?? I was speaking to the owner of a small boutique hotel in Paris and she told me to come back to visit Paris in August because 90% of the Parisians would be gone on vacation and the city has a different flavor. There are many businesses still open in the tourism areas because the capitalism we enjoy in the USA certainly has its flavor in the larger cities of Europe as well. There are many more businesses who simply enjoy the month of August in absentia with their families and resting to be better versions of themselves when they return. I now am understanding that if 90% of my customers are gone on vacation then what obvious choice would I have but to go on vacation as well?? I think the question of who is insane might have to be thought over.

Even during the rest of the calendar year I see a greater celebration of life and a pace that takes time to stop for a cafe or to read in the park. These things may stand out to me so much because I have spent my life planning and reaching goals for the reasons I thought I should but this now causes me to question. Is there a different approach? I am not one to throw all I have away and hike the himalaya's for my inner search, although it does not sound too bad at the right time of year. ;-) Instead I am one who is considering looking at myself a little harder to determine why I am doing what I am doing. How does the product of my work each and every day serve to make other people and the world around them a better place? This is the search that has become too distant for all countries and cultures. I see the hurried pace to get to each goal but do we consider why we are striving and for what purpose?

Our lives are short relative to the span of world existence and the future to come. In order to be responsible with the energy I have I want to learn where to give of it and make the most impact on other people. I have a chance to use my freedoms of choice and not whine and complain to get more but instead look and discover how to give more. As a student of history and how different cultures were created it is telling to me in every instance how service and giving creates a long lasting platform for the greater good. At the same time cultures that were controlled by or rooted in self gratification always come to an end. It is each and every individuals right to choose and each ones responsibility to choose well. 

Developing a life that was worth living is simply choosing to search out our values and then behaving with integrity regarding those choices. Our Health, Our commitments, Our opportunities are all about doing what we say we will and then doing it. Find a reason beyond you to live your life today and then be amazed at the ability you have to actually make it happen.

"We don't give to get, but all receiving begins with giving"
"Your level of integrity is the level of congruency between your values and your behaviors."

No comments:

Post a Comment