Sunday, November 20, 2011

What an awesome moment and it took so Little!!

What an awesome moment and it took so Little!!



I was thinking the other day about how electronic our lives have become. On one hand I can become a little overwhelmed just like many of you at how fast life is and very often how little it requires human interaction as technology continues to grow. You know what I mean I am sure, things that used to be human interaction have very often been transferred to email, text, instant messaging in an effort to "speed up" the process.


The challenge becomes our responsibility of not using technology to such an extent that we forget the reason we do what we do in life. I guess where I am going with this is that if Human beings were meant to have relationships with computers and cell phones I think we would be destined for a very deprived society. Do not get me wrong!! I use facebook, email, text etc.. as much if not almost more than  anyone I know but I almost accept it as a challenge that I must find greater ways to remain connected to people so that I offset my distancing I have created through these "great" tools.

I was thinking recently of how much opportunity I have in knowing some really awesome people and even the tough time I have staying in touch with so many of them and it made me question, "Is there a better way?" I started thinking about my weekly routines and how many hours I have to reach as many people as I desire to reach and it just did not add up!

It was then I realized why these tools were created for me! Maybe a little ego centric thinking they were created for me but if they are in my life I am going to work on the best way I can own them for my own personal use. In thinking about my daily call routine and email routines I thought what is my daily text routine?? Is there a way I could use this device to stay more connected with people I want to reach but often because of busy lives we keep missing each other??

Could there be a better use for texting than "Don't forget the Milk" or "Where are you?" or "How long before you get here?" I started thinking about the many many names that pop into my head each day as I am doing consults, developing our company, building future strategies and for who? Mainly for people who are popping in my head all day long and I am too "slammed" to call!!

I started thinking is there a way to use these "toys" to really create a positive effect and multi task really getting the most benefit from these possible "tools" in the right hands with the right ideas. I started thinking about how I could develop a tool that would be used to simply further my mission in creating a culture in my life and the lives of those around me. What if I took the time to send real messages each day over text?

Messages like;

I was just thinking about you and I hope you have a great day!

I appreciate who you are, do well today.

I know you are making a difference today.

As I thought about how my day and the days of those people I care about could be lifted through sending a quote over a text message or an encouragement the same way. What spark does that place in each of us to do something better with our lives? How incredible would it be if we could create a culture of people using "tools" to empower the lives of those around them by texting positive thoughts and ideas to each other. I started to do it and on one day I sent a text to a dear friend named Mason and it was as simple as simple could get, I thought!

The question I posed over text message was this; "How awesome is your day?"

I thought I might get back "Really awesome!" maybe even "Going to be great thanks for asking" but it was to my incredible surprise that I got back the following email to the simple text message I sent;

Brian-

When I woke today I was sore as heck from my workout yesterday – it felt AWESOME!
I gave thanks that I could move and enjoy working out.
I walked through my house and looked at each of my three kids sleeping – it was AWESOME!
I gave thanks for my home and my beautiful children and the chance to watch them grow another day.
I made breakfast – eggs, blueberry smoothie protein shake and oatmeal – it was AWESOOME!
I gave thanks for the nutrition I was able to enjoy.
I loaded the kids in my truck and drove Aleasha, my 12 year old to her bus stop where she said “Bye Daddy, I love you” – that was AWESOME!
I gave thanks for her gift of love.
I drove Michael, my 13 year old to his reading therapy where he has gone for the last year to learn to overcome his reading disability – he is AWESOME!
I gave thanks that I can afford to provide him the extra help and for his perseverance.
I drove Julia, my 4 year old to her daycare and as I was leaving stopped outside the window to do a chicken dance and make silly faces for her and her friends – it felt AWESOME!
I gave thanks for her laughter.
I drove to the office and sat in my truck and thought about the two clinics and the people in them and the opportunity I had today to help them achieve more – the responsibility is AWESOME!
I walked into the office and was greeted by a huge smile from Jen as she told me I was just in time to join the TEAM for a huddle – the energy was AWESOME!
I gave thanks for my TEAM.
I then sat down to write a dear friend who cared enough about me to ask me how awesome my day today was – that question is AWESOME!
I gave thanks for the friendship I have found with him

Brian, my life is far from perfect, just as I am – but, I am in the perfect place, exactly where I am supposed to be and that is not only perfect, but it is AWESOME!
My life, Brian is AWESOME!


I am sure that the power we have to change lives is as real as ever in todays technological world. If that did not prove it then read this message again. I am forming new habits in my life using the tools I have at my disposal to remain connected to the people I care about and I hope you will consider developing a routine to do the same. I was thinking about this message and noticed that one day this past week I sent 35 text messages along the same lines as the one I sent to Mason. I have received many responses back but Masons still stands above all at the moment. The way he used technology to impact me a week ago makes me want to work harder at making a positive impact with ANY tool I can find.

What is your routine and how do you stay connected?

Have an awesome day!


Brian

1 comment:

  1. Brian - I agree, it's very difficult to stay in contact with the people that matter the most in our lives. Great Work Duggsblog.com! You are making a positive impact with technology. I'm inspired each time I log on. Keep up the awesome work! - Cheryl

    ReplyDelete